Have you ever felt like you just don't fit in? Like the world around you doesn't make sense and you're the only one who sees that? Well, I always have. And I feel like the answer is that .......
I was just born 100 years too late!

14 April, 2011

Amikami Japan Disaster Relief Fundraising UPDATE .... and more!

Elementary school children together for the
first time since the March 11 earthquake.

(AP Photo/Yomiuri Shimbun, Miho Ikeya)


I can't believe it, but I have just received enough bracelet orders to exceed the $1,000 donation goal! But I've decided I'm not stopping now, and I am not making any more goals ... the sky's the limit!

I've been so deeply touched and encouraged by the phenomenal response I've received since I began my fundraising efforts. I'm am also so inspired by outpouring of support all over to help Japan in this desperate time.

I am currently working on a new Japan project, but not a fundraiser this time. I am working with my friends, students and community in the small town where I live in to make 1,000 cranes to send to Japan. I'm not certain of who the recipients will be exactly, but I'd like to send them to a school I recently read about - Okawa Elementary.

This small school was in a town completely destroyed by the tsunami. Only 34 of the 108 students and 1 teacher out of 12 survived. The school year is beginning in Japan and on April 21, the remaining students will be using classrooms in another school to start their year as the rest of the country does. It made me so sad, but to think of their courage and strength to continue on is so inspiring. I would like to send them something to show them that even 5,000+ miles away, there are people thinking of them and praying for them.

I'll post more on this as it starts coming together. I have already had such an enormous response to this plan, I know it will be a wonderful thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment